Thursday, January 30, 2014

Chicken and Quinoa Soup





 I'm experimenting with Quinoa.  It's tasty stuff and pretty simple to work with.  No more difficult than rice, you just have to make sure to rinse it for 2 min. before you cook it.  Easy enough. 

I thought this soup was really tasty.  It's packed with veggies and makes a nice snack in the middle of the day.  Quinoa doesn't really have a flavor.  It seems to take on the flavor of the soup.

I'm getting brave enough to use quinoa in other ways.  I think I might try a cheese sauce for a "quinoa mac and cheese."  I've even seen recipes for quinoa chocolate cake.  It may take me a while to get that brave.  :)



 I think you could easily throw in some squash or pumpkin or zucchini or even parsnips and peas.  I wonder if you could can this, for easy winter meals, using the veggies from your summer garden?  Something to think about.  A nice effortless soup dinner without the extra preservatives and chemicals used by commercial soup companies.  If I wasn't a brown thumb I think I would attempt it.  But honestly, if I ever manage to grow anything more than hopes and dreams in my vegetable garden, I may have to bronze the produce to prove I did it.  :0

Let me know what you are experimenting with.  I'd love to hear your adventures in cooking.  :)

 
Chicken and Quinoa Soup
Add the water, (3 cups), chicken and onions and bring to a boil.  While that is cooking chop all your veggies.  Feel free to add any extra veggies.  It will taste yummy.  Remove the chicken to a cutting board.  Add all ingredients to the water, except quinoa.  Dice the chicken and add back to the soup.  Bring to a boil and turn down heat to low.  Add quinoa. Allow to simmer for at least 30 min.  

According to this recipe calculator http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp the soup is only 76 calories per serving.  (It makes about 9).  That is a low cal meal people!  So go ahead and add a nice crusty loaf of bread.  This is a yummy, easy and low calorie soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment