Tuesday, August 18, 2015

I'm Not Losing Weight, I'm Leaving it Behind



Having gestational diabetes changed me.  It changed my mentality toward food and it changed the way my body deals with food.  I know that the diabetes went away once I gave birth.  I know that I am perfectly healthy.  I also know that I crave sweets in a way that I didn't before.  I can't lose weight as easily as before.  That is actually the point of this blog post. 

I've been thinking about the phrase, "lose weight."  And I kept thinking 'this is wrong.  I don't want to lose it.  That indicates I might find it again (as I have many times before). I don't want it back.'  I pondered this for a few days, and then a friend wrote something on her facebook page that clicked with me.  She said, "I left 15 pounds behind in July."  That's it!  That's the phrase!  She left it behind.  She doesn't intend to go looking for it.  It is not something lost.  It is something given up!  Given up for something better.  Doesn't that ring truer in the ear?

 Isn't that a statement of determination and strength. " I'm leaving it behind." This is on my terms.  Not because of a fad diet, or a sense of loss, or any inability on my part. "I'm leaving it behind" indicates that I am in control.  This is not a matter of begging the scale to cooperate.  This is me telling my body how it will act. 

I am actively working on eating in a more healthful way.  I am working on exercise.  I am working on leaving some weight behind.  But more than that, I am working on understanding that I am in control.  I can, at any point, leave this behind.  It may take practice, but it really is up to me. 


2 comments:

  1. So...I just found your blog. Not even sure if you check it anymore, but I really appreciate your posts! I love the honesty, because I understand a lot of what you are talking about! My husband is now a type II diabetic, I've had gestational diabetes, and I want to be healthier so that I don't have the type II forever. Thanks for writing so much--I love it! I'll be scanning through all your posts to find recipes and ideas to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for stopping by. I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with gestational and type II diabetes. It stinks, huh? But guess what? You are dealing with the 2 types of diabetes that can be controlled. It takes work, but you and your family are worth it. I hope you will keep in touch. I am not an expert, but I have been down this road. Wishing you luck as you start your new story! Rochelle

    ReplyDelete