Wednesday, August 21, 2013

"Breaded" Grilled Salmon




I'm on a salmon kick.  When my hubby wants to say "I love you," he will bring me a salmon.  Okay- we aren't bears.  But, if he happens to be at Costco, he will pick one up for me.  He doesn't like fish, so he brings it to me knowing that I will cook it for dinner and he will have to cook for himself.  So I think that he brings me a salmon to show me he loves me.  :)

Anywhoooooo, he brought me a beautiful looking fillet the other day.  I wanted breaded, fried, yummy fish.  I also really do want to eat healthier and get the waistline back to my version of perfect.  Dipping a fish into a vat of fat doesn't seem like the best way to accomplish those two goals.  But I like food! A Lot!

I decided to grill my fish, but also to lightly bread it.  The result?  Wonderful.  I do love a good salmon!

So the recipe I used for seasoning the salmon is here.  I made this Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon last year and blogged it for you then, but I didn't put the ingredients into an easy to read form.  Shame on me!  That is so rude.  So here you go.  I hope this is a little better.  :)

Spices:
 juice from 1 fresh lemon or 1 Tbl. lemon juice
Old Bay (you will just sprinkle on top- so no real measurement, but I'd guesstimate 1 tsp.
1/2 tsp. garlic powder or 1 tsp. garlic salt (reducing the sea salt if you use this)
2 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 - 1/2 tsp chili powder
Pepper (again, sprinkle it over- not a real measurement)
Salt (see above)
1 Tbl. splenda or honey
1-2 Tbl Olive Oil

Drizzle Olive oil and honey (or sprinkle splenda) over your fillet.  Then drizzle the Lemon Juice over the salmon.  Next, sprinkle all other ingredients on the fillet, making sure to cover the entire fillet.

To bread the fish:

Sprinkle 3 Tbl. panko on top of fish.  That is all, just 3 table spoons.  Heat that grill up to between 375-450 and place your fillet on  a piece of aluminum foil that has been sprayed with cooking oil.  Place on the grate.  Cook until the meat is opaque and flaky.  (Should register 145 on a meat thermometer.)

I spiced and breaded both sides and sprayed with a little Pam before setting on the grill.  I did not need to turn the meat.  It got a nice brown crispness without turning. It tasted like a yummy breaded fish fillet, with hardly any actual breading. Nice for someone watching their carb intake. Clean-up was a breeze too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment