Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Lower Sugar Cafe Rio Style Chicken

I love the Cafe Rio style chicken and pork.  However the two dominant recipes that I have seen call for either tons of brown sugar, or tons of brown sugar PLUS cola!  That is so much sugar for a diabetic or dieter to contend with.  The easy solution was to replace the sugar with Splenda or some other sugar replacement, (and I have done this in the past with great results) but I didn't want that.  I really wanted something that just used basic ingredients.   I used a can of pineapple for the sweetener.  It worked like a dream.  It added just enough sweetness to balance the salsa, without overpowering it.  Intrigued? Try it yourself.  You don't need tons of sugar to have tons of flavor- and a natural sugar, well that's just icing on the cake. :)

Yummy Chicken Burrito - that won't make your sugar levels sky rocket!
This is what you need for the meat- 5 ingredients. 

I added a little over 1/2 the bottle of salsa to 4 large chicken breasts.

Then I added the entire can of crushed pineapple including the juice.

add 2 Tsp. minced garlic along with 3 Tbl Worcestershire and 2 tsp. liquid smoke.

Cook on low for 8 hours.  Prepare to be hungry all day because it smells divine while it cooks.

I was going to use all of this for the dressing- I didn't.  I only used Mayo, 1/2 pkg ranch dip and the salsa Verde packets from Taco Bell.  okay- I love the salsa Verde from Taco Bell.  I collect the dumb little packets.  You can use any salsa Verde you like, but if you happen to go to Taco Bell, ask for a few of these babies and add them to your ranch dressing.  I promise that you won't regret it. 
Mix up the ranch dressing according to directions on your package and then add Salsa Verde. Mmmmnnnn. 

cut tomato, 2-3 green onions, including the white part. You can also add avocado. And I forgot to photograph the cheese, but don't forget that.


Black beans, drained and rinsed. I also forgot to photograph the corn.  I'm new at this photographing while I cook.  I'll get better. :)

shred the chicken.

Serve with lettuce on tortillas.


Or serve as a salad without the tortilla.  Both are delicious!

3 comments:

  1. I made this the other day and it was delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I want to try this. I love dump it and go crockpot meals.

    ReplyDelete