Monday, August 19, 2013

Egg Cup Breakfast

When I was growing up, if I asked my dad what he wanted for breakfast, he always gave the same answer: Steak, eggs and hash browns.  We usually laughed at my dad, because really? Steak and eggs for breakfast?  Dad was a breakfast guy.

I don't like to eat in the morning.  I think I've mentioned this before.  I don't like to cook in the morning even more than I don't like to eat in the morning.  In fact, it could be why I don't like to eat in the morning.  Never mind, I'm starting to sound cranky- like it's morning.

Anyway, breakfast is important.  It starts the day and we need our blood sugar levels to come up.  After all we've just been fasting for 8 hours. (Hence the name, break fast- breakfast.) Ta da!

Protein is the best way to start the day. (Hmmm, maybe my dad was on to something.)  For me that means eggs.  I'll 86 the steak and hash browns.  To make life a little easier I decided to make egg cups.  Since I was already making egg cups, it seemed like a good idea to make 12 and put some in the refrigerator for the week.  Now I just pop one of these out and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Breakfast is a little more palatable when it's fast, and there's no mess!

 This isn't so much a recipe as a method.  That is a statement I repeat a lot.  You know way more about the way I cook than is strictly necessary. lol.

Anyway, I just added lean meat, ham and turkey, to the muffin tin.  I added a tiny bit of Parmesan cheese and cracked an egg into the tin.  Bake at 350 for 12 min.


 For the scrambled version I added 1 Tbl cottage cheese per 2 eggs to a bowl and then the eggs and some salt and pepper.  As with the other cups I added a tiny bit of cheese (maybe 1/2 teaspoon) and then the egg.  Bake 350 for 12 min.

 I also did some without the meat.  For those I added the Parmesan directly to the scrambled eggs along with the cottage cheese. I also added a Tbl. diced ham per every 2 eggs.  No salt because the cheeses are so salty.  I did use cooking spray so the eggs wouldn't stick.  Bake at 350 for 12 min. Delicious.

The hardest thing has been keeping my family out of my eggs.  :)  Guess I'll have to make some for them also.




2 comments:

  1. How do they hold up being microwaved? This sounds like a good time saver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at how good they are microwaved. Usually, leftover eggs get dry and rubbery, but these have stayed almost creamy. Yes, it is a great time-saver.

      Delete