Thursday, May 3, 2012

Hamburger Soup

So I love soup.  I love the versatility and the colorfulness and the warm way it makes me feel.  Hamburger soup is one of my favorites because you can add whatever ingredients you have on hand. As long as you have some chicken broth and some tomatoes, canned or fresh, you can make a yummy soup.  Here is how I made it this time.

You need this


and this.


dice onion and 3-4 stalks of celery
While dicing, let 1 lb of lean ground beef, or ground turkey cook.

When the meat is cooked add the onions and celery. Simmer for a few min. until the celery is bright green and the onion is starting to become translucent.



Put meat mixture in slow cooker and add 2 cans of cut tomatoes. (about 15 oz)

Add a can of green beans with the juice. Add sliced carrots or whatever veggie you would like.

Add a can of kidney beans, but do drain those. Add 1 tbl fresh garlic, 2 bay leaves, a tsp salt (you may need more later) and 1/2 tsp basil.  I also ground some pepper over the soup.


Add either two cans of chicken broth, or two cups of water plus 2 tsp bouillon, or 2 bouillon cubes. 

set to cook for 6-8 hours. 

It's yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment