Thursday, August 22, 2013

Re-Do the Fridge







It's hard to eat healthy.  This is what we hear, what we tell ourselves and each other.  When we were kids, we didn't have a choice.  If we wanted dessert, we ate our veggies.  Dessert wasn't more than once a week and likely not even that frequent.  Snacks were carrots, oranges, apples and graham crackers.  Because that is what was available to us, that is what we ate.  We had to ask for a cookie, and mom said "no" more than yes.  Why is it that when we grow up we toss these lessons out the window?  Why are we so much more permissive with ourselves?  Is it because we are adults and should be able to do what we want?  Of course it is. But just because we can, doesn't mean we should!

I thought about this for a while, and after talking to a friend, decided that food should not be a power play.  Not for kids and not for adults.  With that in mind, I redid my fridge.  I went to the store, and I bought what I know I should be eating.  I came home and cleaned out the fridge.  I loaded the good food in the fridge in such a way that I see it first.  I also promised myself that I would have 3 healthy snacks before a sugary snack.  The first day was an apple, a carrot, and some grapes.  By the time I got to the brownie, I took one bite and I was done.  Success!!!!!

So here is the challenge:  Clean out your fridge.  Repack it with healthy food.  Allow yourself a treat, but only after 3 healthy snacks.  Follow the rules you followed as a child.  I'm hoping to find my childhood metabolism. lol.  :)  Then send me a photo of your newly re-done fridge! 

On a side note- my grocery bill was actually smaller and I didn't use coupons!

2 comments:

  1. This is a really good idea. I'm writing my grocery list right now....of course Joseph came home from Santa Fe and Walmart today with the year supply sized boxes of Lucky Charms and Apple Jacks -- for the kids you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is buying for the kids where I get in trouble. I have started a mental dialogue at the grocery store where I tell myself, "they don't really need it, and I don't have to buy it." Sad, huh? Still, I have walked out of the store with out the cookies that my teen was begging for. I did it with a smile, and he didn't die! Win!

    ReplyDelete