Monday, September 30, 2013

If You Do What You've Always Done. . .

. . . you will get what you've always got. 



I've been thinking about this phrase a lot lately.  It's true.  If you don't change your habits, you won't change your life.  But I exercise, and I try to eat right.  So why is my weight still a little more than I want it to be?  Why do I lose and return to the same weight?  I started thinking about what it was that I needed to do differently.  To do that I had to look at what I have always done.  Guess what?  What I have always done is obsess about what size I am 'supposed' to be.  That hit me so hard.

I suddenly realized that I have held myself back, because I have talked negatively to myself.  I have allowed my size to decide what I would wear and how I would feel.  I kept myself at a size because I felt I didn't deserve to be anything else.  OH MY!  I did that!

I am a pageant coach.  I teach others to talk nice to themselves, but I didn't do it for myself.  Seriously? So I spent the weekend telling myself what I tell others.  "I am enough."  "I am important." Nobody else really cares what I weigh.  They care about how I make them feel.  They care that I love them.  They care that I am kind.  In heaven, no one is going to ask my BMI.  There is not a scale to enter Heaven.  But there might be a scale that measures my heart and how much and how well I loved my brothers and sisters. 

This weekend I ate what I wanted and refused to feel guilty.  Guess what?  I ate less.  I didn't care about the food as much and it didn't taste as good. 

There was a time when I was really little, as in 108 lbs little. During that time, I don't remember ever once feeling guilty about eating a cookie.  In fact, I don't remember even thinking about my weight.

So I am going to do things differently and I am hoping that I will get different results.  I am going to eat healthy for the sake of being healthy, but I am going to live.  Because in my life, a piece of cake is a must.  And I am not going to feel guilty about that.  I am simply going to be enough, because I am. 

I would really love to hear from you.  What will you do differently? Let's start a conversation.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I needed this kick in the pants. I have been losing and regaining the same 5 pounds for a few months now, it's driving me crazy. In my heart I want to just jump in and go, in my mind, I hit a brick wall everytime about having better habits and doing better. I'm not quite sure how to overcome my mental block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, it is the mental part that gets us. We need to give ourselves permission to be fabulous. I really think that once we believe that we are worth it, it will just happen.

    ReplyDelete