Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sneaking in the Veggies

I am making tacos for dinner tonight.  I bet you are wondering why I'm showing a photo of carrots.  Well, I have a secret. When I brown ground beef, I add carrots.  I sneak them in so that my kiddos eat them without knowing it, and I don't have to hear them whine.  I sneak them in so that I can reduce the amount of meat that we eat without anyone missing it.  I sneak them in, because they really enhance the flavor of the meat.  I sneak them in because they are healthy!  Let me show you how.
(I'll post a recipe for lasagna casserole that uses this trick later this week.)

I have this little unit for small chop jobs.
It chops my carrots pretty fine.

I add the carrots and onions to my meat and cook all together.

Yummy ground beef and barely noticeable carrots.



I use:

2 lb. Beef
1 onion
3 extra large carrots
salt and pepper to taste (I actually don't add any. Whatever I am using the meat in will have enough salt)

Finely chop your carrots and chop your onions medium fine.  Combine and cook as you would normally cook your meat.  This is enough meat for 3 meals for my family of 6!

Use for tacos, spaghetti, casserole, hamburger stroganoff, . . . the  possibilities are endless.  Use this same trick for meat loaf and hamburger patties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment