Friday, May 11, 2012

It's Easier With Support

My husband, who we can all agree is the sweetest man on earth, made me dinner last night.  He also did the grocery shopping.  He bought all sorts of diabetic friendly food.  Then he ate the same thing as me.  Now that is sweet.  He also bought me things to make smoothies that are diabetic friendly, since I was lamenting my loss of summer ice cream cones.  And he brought me Soy Milk and Almond Milk to try.  I had to ask him why on that one. He has a friend who lives a vegan lifestyle, since he was pre-diabetic, and is controlling his sugars quite successfully.  So my DH bought me the type of milk that this man drinks. Seriously- sweetest man EVER!

Honey-Comb is not the best choice for a diabetic or someone watching their weight.  However I had a serious craving.  I did what I used to make my kids do with their sugary cereals; I had 1/2 portion of Honey-Comb and 1/2 portion of Cheerios.  I got the taste, but 1/2 the sugar. And I should point out, that Honey-Comb is actually not too bad on the sugar scale.

Mid morning snack was an egg.

I made this for the night's dessert.  It was hard to wait.

Whole grain crackers with peanut butter was actually lunch.  Once again, I forgot to eat, and then noticed that I was sleepy and moving slow. Peanut Butter to the rescue!!

This is the AMAZING dinner that my husband made for me.  Asian lettuce wraps and a few chips. I had 4 of these wraps.  I probably wouldn't normally, but of course I forgot to eat lunch, so I was starving.

2- yup 2 chocolate chip cookies.  Funny thing- they didn't taste as good as they used to.  I tried to eat them slowly and really enjoy them.  I just didn't get the joy out of them that I used to.  Yeah!!!!!  If my tastes are changing, this will become easier. Since I need this to be a lifestyle, I am relieved to see this happening.

My late night snack.  Yes, it was delicious. Sugar-free can be satisfying.

I decided to get brave and try the almond milk. It tastes like milk. I like it.

So the almond milk made me brave- so I decided to try the chocolate soy milk.  It's actually pretty good.  I'm starting to feel like I can do this.  Now, this still has sugar, because it is chocolate, so I can't go crazy, but a little bit now and then is reasonable. 

1 comment:

  1. So because I am lactose intolerant I have drank soy milk for years and loved it! I finally found out after forever on soy milk that almond milk is way better for you. Chocolate almond is delicious too! Way to keep up the good work, I know it's hard, but it's worth feeling better!

    ReplyDelete