Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Human Pincushion

I figured out, yesterday, that if I test my sugars, the minimum required amount, which is 4 times per day, I test a minimum of 28 times per week.  That means I poke myself with a needle 28 times a week.  This explains why my fingers are starting to look and feel like pincushions.  I most often test on my left index finger, and I can see the little scars forming.  I am also starting to lose some of the sensitivity in my fingers.  It's temporary, for me, but I am starting to understand why so many diabetics test irregularly.  I can test on my palm or my forearm but I haven't quite mastered the palm, and the forearm scares me.  That looks like it hurts.



 This is the one thing that really makes me focus on controlling my sugar levels.  I do not want to do this the rest of my life.  It's a pain.  Literally and figuratively. Still, it is such a blessing to live in a time when testing is this easy.

 More and more people are being diagnosed with pre-diabetes and type II diabetes.  I want to shout from the rooftops, "EAT HEALTHY AND EXERCISE! DIABETES IS NOT FUN AND NOT WORTH THAT EXTRA PIECE OF CAKE." I suppose that is a little melodramatic, but really, if I could save you the hassle of this every day, 4 times a day,- I would.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment