Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hot Chicken Sandwiches

These were not kind to my sugar levels.  They are delicious, fast and easy, but not really a healthy food. However, if you made them with whole grain dough, they would be much better. Another option would be to make it without the top crust.  More a pizza style and then you wouldn't have so many carbs to contend with.

Flatten out some commercial biscuits, or make your own or use any bread dough. Add an italian cheese blend. I have mozzarella and Parmesan.

Add cooked chicken.  I am the queen of using left-overs, so this is the BBQ chicken that I made in the crockpot for BBQ Chicken Sandwiches the other night.

Flatten another can of biscuits and place on top. Then squeeze and pinch the overlap together and pull the bottom over the top to make a crust.  I had lots of "help" so you can see how pretty (not) mine is.

Here is a little different view.  It reminds me of making stromboli.

Make an egg wash with one beaten egg and a little water. Brush it on to seal the edges.

Then brush the top.

Get the top as evenly as possible.

You know how I claim to be the queen of left-overs? This should convince you.  We ordered Pizza one night a while back. They brought containers of Parmesan cheese that no one used.  I put them in the fridge and pulled one out for this recipe.

Sprinkle cheese on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. But check it at 15 and 20 minutes.  Everyone's oven is different. Mine took 25.  I also have a convection oven, so a conventional oven will probably take closer to 30 minutes. But keep checking. If the top is getting too brown and the inside doesn't look done, you will want to throw some foil on it.

This is done.

This is a plate at the table. There are actually 6 here, they are piled up.  They look yummy huh? They are pretty good, but my hubby did say, "this isn't your bread dough." I said "no." And He said, "yours is better." SCORE!



1 comment:

  1. Yummy. I love to make stromboli with pepperoni and ham.

    ReplyDelete