Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Spaghetti and Mock Chocolate Pie


Normally, I would make my own sauce, because I can, it's cheap and it tastes better fresh.  However, when in a hurry, this is a pretty good canned sauce and it is sugar-free.  It does have sucrose and  aspartame so if you are sensitive to those you might opt for the regular sauce.
 
Cabbage- finely sliced. As if you were making coleslaw.

Lean ground beef.  You can use ground turkey, but my husband would revolt.

Mix the pasta sauce and the ground beef along with a can of olives, or whatever your favorite spaghetti mix ins are. Simmer.

While simmering the sauce, boil water. You can add salt to the water, or not, but you do not need to add oil. Add your cabbage and cook for about 3 minutes.

See how green and pretty.  It is still a little crunchy too.

Drain and top with the spaghetti sauce and a bit of Parmesan cheese. I mixed mine with a skim milk mozzarella to further cut fat and calories.  Delicious!

This is a treat, and I mean a treat for a diabetic, or anyone trying to eat like one. Start with your favorite flavor instant pudding, sugar-free of course. Make according to package directions. The box says this makes 4 servings. In my house it makes 5, so I put a bit less than a 1/2 cup in each little dish. Add 1 Tbl of Cool Whip, Cool Whip lite, Cool whip no sugar added, or real whipped cream to each container. Add 3-5 graham cracker sticks.  Yes mine are Scooby-Doo, come on, he's the coolest.  Any way, you can use regular graham crackers too. Just remember that 1 rectangle is all you need. It tastes just like a yummy chocolate pie with a graham cracker crust.  Okay, not just like it, but it's close enough. 





So I am posting a few pictures to show how I made some of my meals and what products I used. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I made my super yummy lasagna last night and used your cabbage idea to keep me from eating 5 pieces. I sauteed some red cabbage in olive oil with salt and pepper, put a big pile on my plate and topped it with just 1/2 C. Lasagna. It was super yummy! And I nibbled on just a little lasagna after that, but it still worked because on lasagna night I usually make a total pig of myself. And I woke up a pound lighter. You are inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete