Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Off Track

The easiest way to get off track for me to be too tired to deal with eating.  If I get too busy or overwork, I tend to not care about what I eat.  I just grab something fast and easy.  I have spent the last 2 days being too busy and too tired to care.  This does not reflect well on my food log-or my sugar log, which is the bigger concern.  I have not checked my sugars regularly in those two days.  Considering how hard I have worked to keep my levels in control the last few months, this seems silly.  Two days can really throw a diabetic or a dieter off track.  I will report what I can here in my food log, but I have a goal to be much more diligent over the next few weeks.  I'm sure that success doesn't mean I never mess up.  It means that I get back on track the minute I realize I am not being diligent enough. :)


This is a blueberry shake.  It is a clam shell of blueberries and a couple cups of ice cream and some milk.  I made enough for the whole family.  Yes, I ate it for lunch.  Ahhhh---  I did say I needed to do better.

I really needed some protein.


And some yogurt covered pretzels where yummy, although not filling.  I did not over do it, I only had a couple.  However, when combined with the day- it wasn't a good choice.

Teaching my son to make a yummy fast meal, so we made BBQ sandwiches in Grands rolls.  I generally start teaching with some easy things like mac and cheese and hamburger helper, etc.  Then when they understand the rules of using the oven and stove and measurements, I move them into cooking from scratch.  He was so proud of these, so even though they are not great food for a diabetic, it was worth it.

a big slice of watermelon. 

Some pork n beans from the can.  I love this stuff.


4-5 Big strawberries. Yum!

a small handful of chocolate chips.  Sometimes you gotta have a fix.

Then since I'd already had the chips, I figured "why not?" on the tootsie roll.  I did give some to my kids.  It felt great to eat it, but 10 min. later, I did not feel great.  In fact I felt sick.  Lesson learned.  1 or 2 of the little tootsie rolls is a much better option.  Save the king size thing for when you're hiking and need a quick pick me up. :)

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about the time it takes. I try to keep healthy foods on hand (apples, bananas, baby carrots) that are ready to eat, but when I run out of them and can't get to the store I'm left with the shelf stable quick foods. Crackers, cookies, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sad part is, that I am stocked up on healthy options. I have apples, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, yogurt, cashews, almonds, cottage cheese, tomatoes. I mean there was no reason for me to eat that way, other than laziness and reverting to old habits. But that is part of the process. It is changing what I reach for. At least I am stocked up. Now to actually eat the stuff. lol

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I'm trying to be very conscious about breakfast and dinner, and for lunch I just eat what sounds good. But it does take a lot of effort to THINK before I eat. lol.

    ReplyDelete