Monday, June 25, 2012

What are you willing to do?

It started out as a fluke.  I randomly posted my lunch on Facebook with the caption, 'eat like a diabetic.'  It was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek comment on how boring my meals were.  Then one person said "blog this." Then another, then another.  Enough people asked for a blog, that I thought, "Why not?" So I started logging my meals online. 

I  have to admit that keeping this blog has been more than a little uncomfortable for me.  I am not really a "share with the world" kind of person.  I normally would tell my friends about my diabetes, in person, if it came up in conversation; but to blog about it is so completely open.  Don't get me wrong, I am not a shy person.  I am very outgoing, but I don't share really personal things.

 While I know that what I eat is not necessarily personal, it does open me to a lot of scrutiny.  Especially since I normally take a lot of joy in what I cook and consider myself a good cook.  I also take some enjoyment from knowing that what I make is normally from scratch and my own unique recipe.  What I have shared here so far has been modifications for the changes in sugar and starch, or has been made using "prepared" foods that make things quick for me.  It is actually embarrassing to me.  Funny, huh?

As I move through this journey, I fully expect to learn to cook all my new foods from scratch and to develop recipes that are as tasty as the originals.  And so far, I have been really pleased with the recipes that I have developed and shared.  They are my reality at this point, as is my diabetes.  But I think it is funny, how sometimes I just don't want to share a recipe, because I know that I have used a commercially prepared sauce or a can of soup. 

Sharing my feelings on the day that I realized that I did indeed have diabetes, was completely foreign to me.  I didn't want people to feel sorry for me, but I felt so many emotions at that moment. It wasn't that I wanted to be "honest to my followers." It was more that I needed that outlet at that moment.  Having done that, I was able to move forward.  This blog has helped me more than anything, to keep on track.  To be accountable to so many, has forced better habits of diet and exercise on me.

I have been surprised at how many of my friends have followed my journey.  I have also been grateful.  This isn't the most scintillating of blogs- I mean, it's a food log.  But it has shown me how many people care about me, and that has been humbling.

So I will keep blogging my meals, and thank you for your kind comments and help in keeping me one track. 



No comments:

Post a Comment