Monday, June 11, 2012

Peanut Butter Sesame Balls

Some of you have asked for the recipe for these delicious little nuggets.

Peanut Butter Sesame Balls  
I have to admit, they are one of my favorite snacks.  They are healthy and sweet and guilt free.  They come from this book


This was one of the first things I asked my mom to buy me when I got married.  It was out of print, so she had to search thrift stores and garage sales.  I think she finally found it on Amazon, although I'm not sure where she found it.  I just know it was a brand spanking new copy of my very own.  It was originally printed in 1973 and my copy was printed in 1977.  I think it was last printed in 1982.  You can find it here.

Anyway, I love it.  If you cook vegan, vegetarian, whole foods, or just plain healthy foods, this book has recipes.  It also has loads of ideas for using food storage items. It is a Natural Foods Cookbook that actually has good tasting recipes. 

I wrote to Rhodale Press and asked if I could share my favorite recipe with you.  The answer was YES!  I'm so excited. 

I'm not including pictures today. The recipe is really simple.  It is packed with protein, and not from whey powder either, (which I never seem to have).  I bet you have the ingredients in your pantry right now. 

3/4 C Peanut Butter
1/2 C Honey
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 C skim milk powder
1 C Oatmeal (not cooked)
1/4 C Toasted Sesame seeds
2 Tbl boiling water

Chopped nuts, sesame seeds, carob or cocoa powder or coconut for rolling (optional)

Combine Peanut butter, honey, and vanilla and blend thoroughly.

Mix milk powder and oatmeal together and add slowly to peanut butter mixture. Blend in sesame seeds.

Add the water, blending well.

Shape into 1 inch balls and roll in nuts or carob powder. 

I like them best cold, so I refrigerate or freeze before eating. If I don't have sesame seeds, I have used wheat germ instead.  A little different texture but no real difference in flavor.  Also, I have added coconut and I have omitted the sesame seeds.  The recipe is highly adaptable. 

You can toast your sesame seeds in a pre-heated 200 degree oven for 20 minutes.

The recipe says that it yields about 3 dozen, but I always eat so many while I am making them, that I do not get this many. lol

My kids like this too.  Super easy to make, and much much better then a bag of cookies or chips. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment